Aromatic chicken is best cooked ahead so that the flavors permeate the chicken flesh making it even more delicious. A fresh cucumber salad is an excellent accompaniment. Add a large piece of bruised ginger and a small onion to the chicken stock to ensure a good flavor.
1.5 kg chicken, cut in quarters, or 4 chicken quarters
1 tsp sugar
1 small onion
2 tbsp coriander seeds
300 ml chicken stock or water
1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
10 ml (2 tsp) cumin seeds
6 whole cloves
1/2 tsp ground turmeric
2.5 cm fresh root ginger, crushed or sliced
as needed salt and freshly ground black pepper
boiled rice and Deep-fried Onions, to serve
1. Cut each chicken in half to obtain 8 pieces. Put in a flameproof casserole, sprinkle with salt and sugar and until mixed. This helps release the liquid in the chicken. Use the backbone and any carcass to make chicken stock for use later in the recipe, if you like.
2. saute the coriander, cumin, and whole cloves until the spices give off a pleasant aroma. Add the turmeric and nutmeg then heat briefly. Grind in a food processor or a pestle and mortar.
3. If using a food processor, process the onion and ginger until mixed. Otherwise, cut ginger and the onion and pound to a paste with a pestle and mortar. Add stock or water, and the spices stir until mixed well.
4. Pour into chicken in flameproof casserole.cook over a gentle heat until really tender about 50 minutes. for faster, you can Cover with a lid
5. Serve portions of the aromatic chicken, with the sauce, on boiled rice, or crisp Deep-fried Onions on over.
See another curry in chicken category